Thursday, June 01, 2006

Episode 31 A New Beginning

"I must say – the clothes Lexa selected do you credit," Arestasis said with an approving smile. "I favoured green, but she said this would show off the colour of your eyes."

Gundar squirmed on his chair. He was not in the mood to discuss fashion. Despite the archmage’s affable greeting, and the silver goblet of wine he had been offered, he dreaded the inquisition to come.

A great mud-coloured wolfhound who had been sleeping in the corner rose, stretched, and came to Gundar, nudging his hand with his nose. Gundar scratched the dog’s ears absent-mindedly. The animal made a low-pitched sound half-way between a growl and a whine and rested his head on Gundar’s lap.

Arestasis chuckled. "He wishes to drink from your cup."

"A dog who fancies wine?" Gundar asked, looking at the animal in surprise. When he saw the white patch on its head, he laughed. "Ah! Scaramouche! So this is what you have become! But I see your taste for vintage has remained unchanged." He offered his goblet to the dog, holding it steady for him while he lapped the contents.

"You must leave now," Arestatsis told the dog when the goblet was empty. "Gundar and I must speak in private."

Scaramouche whined inquiringly.

"No," Arestatis answered. "That is out of the question. Go! You may join us again at the wedding feast."

The hound slunk away, casting a reproachful glance over his shoulder.

Gundar looked his master in the eye, trying to gauge his mood. When the archmage meted out his punishment, would he take under consideration what Gundar had already suffered? Would he show mercy for the sake of the heart-broken bride?

Arestatis frowned. "What have you to say for yourself?"

"Nothing, my Lord," Gundar said, remembering his vision on the way to Tantalos' judgement hall. "I have put myself in your hands without condition, and I will not flinch from whatever you see fit to do with me."

"Ah!" Arestatis raised his eyebrows. "So you believe our encounter was more than mere delirium?"

Gundar’s heart beat faster. "I know it was," he said. "And even if it were not, I would consider myself bound by the promise I made. I betrayed my word to you once, and I will die rather than do it again." He bowed his head, jaw set and fists clenched, awaiting judgement.

"Are you the father of Marcelle’s child?" Arestasis asked.

Gundar looked up, taken aback by the question. His cheeks flushed. "I claimed that child, so it is mine," he said.

"No more evasions," Arestasis said. "Have you ever had carnal knowledge of Marcelle?"

"No," Gundar said, with a certain relief at uttering the truth. "I lied to save my life."

"Perhaps your motive was more honourable than that," Arestasis suggested. "Marcelle had much to gain by your claim."

"No," Gundar said, refusing the suggestion of mitigating circumstances. "I did not realize that the penalty for her transgression was so severe. I did it for myself and myself alone. The dishonour is mine."

"Do you know who the father is?" Arestasis asked.

"One Pier Drost, I believe," Gundar said. "But I have no proof but Marcelle’s word."

"Now that you have claimed the child, we cannot seek satisfaction from him," Arestasis said. "But I will keep this incident in mind and await an opportunity for a little private justice." A faint smile played on his lips as he mused on the subject.

Gundar sat still until he could bear the silence no longer. "And me, my lord?" he burst out. "What will become of me?"

Arestasis smiled benignly at his vassal. "Why – I will send you on a quest."

"A quest?" Gundar asked, unable to believe his luck.

"A successful quest will go far to purge the guilt that haunts you," Arestasis said gently.

Tears stung Gundar’s eyes. "Thank you, my lord."

"While you are gone, I will do what I can to clear your name," Arestasis said. "If I cannot, then I will send you word to take your boat back home across the Mystic Sea, and spread the word that you died in the performance of your duty."

"My boat?" Gundar squeaked. "You are entrusting me with a boat?"

Arestasis stood up. "Come and see."

Gundar followed him onto the balcony, which overlooked the harbour. A familiar-looking boat was approaching at a smart pace, propelled by the perfectly synchronized sweeping of oars. The exuberant bellowing of the crew echoed in the evening air, chanting a ribald wedding song from the Northern lands.

"The Lili!" Gundar gasped, "and my men! How can it be? I saw them die!"

"You saw them swept into the ocean," Arestasis corrected him. "But they were rescued. All were saved but one – Hryn son of Haldur. He was intent of doing all things on his own strength."

"He was a fool from the cradle," Gundar said. "And the others – are they pledged to you as I am?"

"Indeed," Arestasis said. "They thought you dead, and are delighted to be coming to a wedding instead of a funeral."

"By the looks of it, you have taken them in hand as you did me," Gundar said. "We could not work together at all when we set out."

Arestasis said nothing, but Gundar could feel a glow of gratification emanating from the man. He realized then that the archmage’s greatest pleasure was not the domination of others, but their edification.

"You are a great teacher," Gundar said, bending his knee before his lord. "And a noble and merciful one, to deal so graciously with the likes of me."

Arestasis lay his hand gently on his vassal’s head, as a man would bless his son. Then he pulled Gundar to his feet. "Come – we have papers to sign. I have explained everything to Petros, and he has promised to make you his heir."

"Heir to a pig farm?" Gundar asked. "That is to be my kingdom?"

"I have no doubt that you will do better than that, my prince," Arestasis smiled. "But it will provide a good living for your wife and child if you do not return."

"Let us be quick about it, then," Gundar said. "The feast awaits, and I am hungry."

Here endeth Gundar's tale. But the saga of the Companions of the Lili has only begun. Some day, perhaps, the tale of Scaramouche the Great will be told. Or, perhaps, you will have to tell it yourself.